Square Medallion 1911

Square Medallion 1911

This square, Square Medallion from 1911, takes the cake for the oldest pattern I've crocheted from, beating the Venetian Square from 1915. Maybe it's just me, but I find that pretty exciting!  Crocheting from old patterns is such a hands on way to connect to women of the past!

Untitled

The pattern, which you can find HERE, is a little tricky in places and a little time consuming in places (like crocheting into chain stitches if you crochet through both loops).  But it isn't anything a little patience can't handle!

Untitled

I used size 10 thread and a 1.65mm hook.  The finished size of the piece is 7.5 inches.

Untitled

Untitled

I'll admit it wasn't exactly the most fun pattern, but that just made it that much more satisfying to finish!  And it's from 1911!

Comments

  1. I think it is incredible to be from so long ago. Over 100 years ago some lady, child, ladies were sat, patiently crocheting this fine and delicate piece never thinking that so far in the future another very talented lady would be doing the same. It is beautiful. I admire people who have the patience for such wonderful crochet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I love imagining that!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  2. you know? this is beautiful!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO lovely! Thanks for sharing the pattern, I might try it, however I'm not really a patient person! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,
    I was so amazed with this piece that I'v tried to crochet it, but couldn't do round 9. Do you know if there is a more clear instructions to this?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I am just seeing your comment!!! I don't know of any more clear instructions for this square, but if you want to email me - signedwithanowl@gmail.com, you can let me know what is giving you trouble and maybe I can help you out!
      Kate :}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts