When Your Lemonade Sucks...


Recognize my next scrapghan square?  After everything I attempted today failed, I had to make at least one thing that didn't end with an expletive.  When all else fails, go back to what works!  So Squaring the Big Circle it is!

Do you ever have one of those days where nothing you do seems to work?  That was certainly today.  First I thought I would make an owl ornament.  I traced my owl onto some plywood, and used my scroll saw to cut it out.  My cutting job was a bit wonky, but I told myself not to panic; I could clean it up with the belt sander.  But I over sanded, and made it more wonky.  Frustrating.  Alright, let's try something different.

Next I had this idea to make a scrapghan square out of small triangles sewn together.  I had made a couple of cards in a similar manner, so maybe it would translate to crochet.  I spent quite a bit of time crocheting little triangles, and sewing them into strips to then sew together.  The strips looked good on their own, but after I sewed the first two strips together it turned a bit wonky.  I told myself not to panic; maybe the triangles would flatten out once I sew on another strip.  No so.  Instead of three strips of triangles, it looked like I tried to sew two lumpy circles together.  Epic fail.  Let's try something that will work!!!

I decided to make my Squaring the Big Circle square.  It apparently works seeing as how it has almost 4,000 pageviews, which is 1/3 of the pageviews of all of my pages put together!!  I checked its pattern page on Ravelry, and it has been "favorited" 500 times, with 32 projects posted.  Plus there are more projects out there by people who aren't on Ravelry.  That makes me so happy and proud!  I don't want it to sound like I'm bragging by any means, it is just the type of pick me up I needed to get me out of my creative slump!!

Today's lesson:  When life gives you lemons, and you make lemonade, and your lemonade totally sucks... get back in the kitchen and make whatever you're famous for!  You'll feel a heck of a lot better.  hahaha!!

You know what else makes me happy?  Crafty people making things for crafty people who will make things for crafty people...  Over at Annaboo's House, there's a Pay It Forward Giveaway going on!!  You should go enter before Oct. 31st to win some of her handmade goodness!  You won't!

Comments

  1. hey there, sorry it was a sucky day, but yeah, that blanket is one in a mill...totally beautiful and amazing. you should be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I love your pattern ... hee hee =D It looks good in bright colors or a more pastel palette. I'll be making a wooly version this winter.

    PS - Wouldn't it be awesome to have a penny per page view???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, days like that come along every now and again, don't they!?!

    I love the colours in your sqare - as always! You're sooooo clever with putting colours together!!! :-)

    Carly

    X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts